How to Apply for a PVO Certificate - Federal Maritime Commission
US Flag iconThis site is an official U.S. Government Website.

How to Apply for a PVO Certificate

A PVO must obtain an FMC-issued Performance and Casualty Certificate evidencing financial responsibility before advertising or booking passengers on a cruise embarking passengers at U.S. ports.

Application Process

  1. An application for a performance certificate must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of arranging, offering, advertising or providing any water transportation or tickets for a cruise embarking passengers from U.S. ports (whichever is earlier). An application for a casualty certificate must be submitted at least 60 days prior to sailing from a U.S. port.
  2. To apply for either certificate, submit Form FMC-131: Application for Certificate of Financial Responsibility, to the Commission with the appropriate fee for a Performance Certificate and/or the appropriate fee for a Casualty Certificate. Make your payment using
  3. Applications may be mailed to: Secretary, Federal Maritime Commission, Room 1046, 800 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington, DC 20573.

Contact Information

Office of Passenger Vessel and Information Processing

Phone: 202-523-5818

Fax: 202-566-5830